Wednesday 25 June 2008

Epiphany.

It is in my friend Housie's opinion that "hot girls...fact.... are ALWAYS taken"

My response to this was "It's the hot girls that you think are nice as well that are always taken, the one's you think are funny and clever and interesting."
But ever thought that maybe it's not the case at all, that actually the one's you just think are hot are actually interesting and funny and clever and perfect for you BUT you'll never know, because there's a completely different frame of mind for both of you if you're both single.

This got us onto the discussion of why you're more attracted to those people who always turn out to be taken, because it's not a physcological thing of, only liking them more after you've realised, you really like them - concious decision - and then the blow of them being in a relationship pops up. BUT they're always so nice that you want to be around them anyway.

This really got me thinking about why. I came to this conclusion.
When you're single, there is more pressure to impress. You subconciously, or conciously, hide certain features of your life, personality, etc in a way that you think improves yourself on a first impression basis. With a first encounter with an attractive male, I used to not mention right off the back that I am a huge youtube geek and enjoy posting videos on the internet, chatting to people I've met on the internet and arranging to meet up with said people, that I met on the internet. It doesn't exactly ooze cool, or that I - to the ignorant attractive person i'm likely to meet out one night - consider my safety in a huge way.
However, and this is where you think about how unintentionally fake everyone is, since I've been with Chris I've had no inclination to hide anything about who I am. In conversation with new guys I've suddenly realised how much more open and comfortable I am and I've had a lot more attention too. Whether these two are connected, I'm not entirely sure BUT if my theory on how much you give away about yourself depending on your relationship status is correct, I imagine it probably is.

This, people, is why the taken characters we meet are so much more desireable. If you're in a happy, committed relationship you have nothing to lose, if I chat to some one and they decide that they don't like me then fuck 'em, that's fine - I've not lost or gained anything from them thinking that I'm not someone they'd like to get to know because I've got my friends, sure I'd love to make more, but the one's I've got are perfectly dandy, and I've got Chris and I am by no means looking or wanting for anyone else but him.

Me and Housie have never had such an in-depth conversation.

That's all, really.

No comments: